Confessions of a High Maintenance Sleeper
Friends and family call me a “high maintenance sleeper” and, I must admit, it’s an accurate label. I was never the one who could instantly fall asleep on a friend’s couch. I was the ultra-light sleeper who never traveled without earplugs and a white noise machine.
That is, until I tried the Sleep Genius system. Now I travel with a compact speaker and play brain-rhythm altering music when I go to bed.
High maintenance? Maybe. But I’m not sleeping without my Sleep Genius… I’d rather be called names and get a good nights sleep, both at home and while traveling!
What is Sleep Genius?
In a sentence, Sleep Genius is the most scientifically advanced sleep program in the world, and was developed following our research helping NASA get astronauts to sleep in space.
I call it a brain-rhythm-altering portal into deeper, more restful sleep.
A team of sleep, brain and technology experts came together to create Sleep Genius. Among the developers are Dr. Seth Horowitz, an auditory neuroscientist who worked with NASA, and Alex Doman, author of Healing at the Speed of Sound.
Sleep Genius sounds like relaxing music but it is much more than that: it uses four techniques help transition your brain into natural sleep rhythms.
- Neurosensory algorithms are low frequency sounds that create a motion-induced sensation in your brain, similar to a baby being rocked to sleep. I actually feel it in my body when I turn on my Sleep Genius. For me, it is an almost hypnotic relaxation – very powerful!
- Pink noise is similar to white noise, but it also has the benefit of triggering the relaxation response. This slows your heart rate and breath rate so you can drift asleep.
- Multiband binural beats are high tech. Let me give you the definition from the Sleep Genius website: “Binaural beats are scientifically designed stereo sounds that can induce synchronization from the brain stem to the frontal lobe.”
- Psychoacoustic music is scientifically-composed low-frequency harmonies. To me, Sleep Genius doesn’t really register as music, but more of a relaxing tone experience.
The combination of these four components makes Sleep Genius a powerful tool for deep sleep.
The first night I used it, I felt my body immediately shift into a deep state of relaxation. I also fell asleep faster. I’ve used it religiously ever since.
What you’ll get in the Sleep Genius package
Before I tell you how to get a FREE Sleep Genius set, let me tell you what is included:
- A nifty travel case with compartments to fit everything snugly and safely
- A Beacon speaker
- An iPod shuffle already loaded with the Sleep Genius program
- Charging cord for the speaker and iPod Shuffle
- Cord to connect the iPod Shuffle to the speaker
The system is so compact, especially when you have the speaker running on battery. This is what it looks like:
Setting up your Sleep Genius
For a blogger, I’m ironically tech-phobic. I like to keep my technology tools as simple as possible, and I do not enjoy the initial setup of devices. It would be a vast understatement to say I was amazed by the simplicity of setting up Sleep Genius… it went from boxed to playing in 45 seconds.
- Plug the speaker into a socket using the USB cord. Keep it plugged in during use, or charge it prior to use (once charged, it will last for 15 hours)
- Connect the iPod (it’s partially pre-charged) to the speaker using the “In” port and the included cord.
- Turn the speaker on and turn the iPod on. Voilá! Sleep Genius is now playing.
It’s wired, so very low EMFs!
One of my major concerns with sleep technology is the EMFs (electromagnetic fields). I avoid sleep apps on my phone, since I turn my phone off during the night. I certainly don’t want my phone on, next to my body, when I’m sleeping. If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times: the body is most vulnerable to EMFs and toxins when asleep, since it is in full parasympathetic mode.
That is the reason why I also avoid Fitbits and other sleep-monitoring devices worn on the body.
The Sleep Genius uses a completely wired connection (not a Bluetooth connection) so the EMFs are minimal. That makes me so happy!
Get a FREE Sleep Genius Set – a $300 value!
My favorite non-toxic mattress company, intelliBED, stays on top of the latest research about how to support safe, healthy sleep. They were the ones who got me hooked on Sleep Genius.
Through the end of May, I’m working with IntelliBED to offer you an incredible gift: a FREE Sleep Genius System, a $300 value, when you purchase an IntelliBED mattress. You will also get 10% off the mattress!
How to get Sleep Genius without a mattress
You can buy the Sleep Genius set at intelliBED. Click through my referral link here are you will automatically get 10% off the Sleep Genius system, even if you don’t buy a mattress. Use the search bar at the top of the page to search for “sleep genius.”
- It is made with non-offgassing materials and a non-toxic mineral fire retardant (compared to traditional mattresses coated in potentially carcinogenic fire retardants)
- It is one of the longest-lasting mattresses, with a 30 year warranty
- It features a unique construction to provide optimal alignment and help you get – and stay – in the deepest stages of sleep
You can learn more about my experience with intelliBED here.
How to get a free Sleep Genius sound system
*This limited-time gift is only available until May 31st*
- Take advantage of this gift before it expires on May 31st.
- Call intelliBED to place your order for a mattress and be sure to tell them Lauren sent you. That way, you’ll get the 10% off and the Sleep Genius gift. Why call them? They have amazing customer service reps who will make sure you get the right bed for your needs.