Take a safe cookware tip from the birds!
Did you know that owners of pet birds are directed to avoid using non-stick cookware and/or keep the birds out of the kitchen? This is because heating the non-stick coating on the cookware releases the chemical PFOA in the form of toxic fumes, particularly over high heat or if the pan is old. These toxic fumes can quickly kill a bird, a phenomenon called “Teflon Poisoning” or PTFE Toxicity. Although birds face extreme sensitivity to the toxic fumes of non-stick cookware due to their anatomy and metabolism, it certainly should raise a red flag about the safety of using non-stick cookware in your home.
PFCs in Non-Stick Cookware
PFCs stands for perfluorinated compounds, a group of toxic chemicals found in the coating of non-stick cookware. Two of the most common types of perfluorinated compounds include PFOA (perfluorooctonoic acid) and PFOS (perfluorooctane sulfonate), both of which are considered by the EPA to be a likely human carcinogen. The potential carcinogenic properties aren’t the only health concern with these toxic chemicals, since exposure to PFCs is linked to:
- low sperm counts
- thyroid disease
- liver and kidney damage
- reproductive problems
- lower birth weight
- (Read more about concerns with PFC’s and toxic household chemicals at Wild Mint Shop.)
Aluminum: another toxic cookware material
Aluminum is a common cookware material, however it is a neurotoxin and carries a wide variety of health issues if ingested. Aluminum in pots and pans can leach into food, particularly acidic foods. Although it is advisable to toss any and all aluminum cookware, you have more leeway when it comes to aluminum bakeware if you use safe materials in-between the food and the aluminum surface. For example, cover an aluminum baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper or use safe paper baking cups in an aluminum muffin tin.
Stainless Steel: a durable and safe cookware option
Are you trying to make the switch to safe cookware? An all-purpose stainless steel cookware set is a simple place to start. According to Wild Mint Shop’s Stainless Steel FAQs, stainless steel:
- won’t alter the taste of the food or beverage it is carrying
- is odorless
- won’t leach toxins into contents it is holding
- is recyclable
- has excellent resistance to staining or rusting
- is easy to clean
- maintains its strength at high temperatures
- is durable
- is sanitary
A common concern I hear about stainless steel cookware is that food sticks to it. It’s actually easy to prevent food from sticking, the trick is properly preheating your stainless pan. Today, I’m excited to give away a 10-piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set, courtesy of Wild Mint Shop. Follow the directions below to enter the giveaway!
Wild Mint Shop Promo Code
Wild Mint Shop is not only generously sponsoring this giveaway, they are providing you with a coupon for 15% off all purchases plus free shipping (on any order size)!
- Use code EMPOWER for 15% your order plus free shipping on any order size. This promo code is valid through March 31st, 2014. Be sure to hit “update” in the cart after entering the coupon code so that the coupon is applied 🙂
- Plastic storage containers can leach BPA or other plastic toxins into food. Glass food storage containers provide a safe alternative, plus they look nice enough to carry from fridge to dining table.
- Plastic water bottles also can leach BPA into water, so that’s why I use a glass water bottle. Wild Mint Shop carries Lifefactory Water Bottles as well as other styles and varieties of glass water bottles.
- I am swooning over the Stainless Steel Lunch Box set, cute eco-friendly lunch bags, and reusable snack bags. Although I work at home and don’t need to pack a lunch, I am tempted to get a cute lunch set just for the kick of neatly organizing my midday meal into these adorable storage options!
Enter the Safe Cookware Giveaway
2. Click here and scroll down to the bottom of the page to sign up for Wild Mint Shop’s newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time but to be eligible to win, you must be subscribed when the giveaway closes. (Wild Mint Shop never shares your email address with anyone!)
3. Use the Rafflecopter widget below to enter the giveaway.
a Rafflecopter giveaway