From Lauren: This recipe is from a fellow Nutritional Therapy Practitioner, Jean Choi, who regularly contributes her creative recipes here.
When the warmer weather hits, I love incorporating summer fruits into my cooking. Recently, I’ve been seeing stone fruits everywhere at the farmers market so I’ve been enjoying a ton of juicy peaches and nectarines as a snack and in my dishes.
And this Peach and Bacon Paleo Flatbread? It might be my favorite recipe yet in which I incorporate fruit into my savory cooking. The combination of the salty bacon, the sweet peach, and the creamy cauliflower cashew cheese brings on such a wonderful combination of flavors and textures, and the cassava flour-based crust is so sturdy and crispy that you’ll forget that it’s grain- and gluten-free!
About the ingredients in the Peach and Bacon Paleo Flatbread
Otto’s cassava flour – Cassava flour is very similar to wheat flour but is grain free. Do not substitute with any other flour for this recipe. You can find it at health food stores, or it’s available here.
Tapioca starch – Tapioca starch is the same as tapioca flour. You can substitute with arrowroot starch if you don’t have this on hand.
Cashews – Soaked cashews make a great creamy sauce once blended and it’s a great substitute for cheese when you add spices and flavors to it. Use raw cashews for this recipe.
Riced cauliflower – This is just cauliflower grated to the size of rice. It adds an extra creaminess and lightness to the “cheese” sauce when blended with cashews.
Bacon – I highly recommend nitrate-free, pasture-raised bacon. You can also use thin-cut for this recipe.
- ¾ cup cassava flour, available here
- ¼ cup tapioca starch, available here
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours and drained
- ¼ cup riced cauliflower
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp full-fat coconut milk, recommended brand here
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 small peach, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup torn basil
- Optional: red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, and place a baking sheet sheet in the oven.
- Combine all the crust ingredients and knead together until it forms a dough.
- Place the dough in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough between 2 parchment papers until about ⅛ inch thick. Remove the top parchment paper.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and place the dough on the baking sheet with the parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the flatbread is baking, place all ingredients for the cauliflower cashew cheese in a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Place bacon slices in a skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes until browned and crispy. Drain and roughly chop.
- Once the flatbread is done baking, remove from the oven. Top with cauliflower cashew cheese, chopped bacon, and peach slices.
- Place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Top with basil and red pepper flakes, if using.
- Cut into slices before serving.
About Jean Choi
Jean Choi is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner, recipe developer, and food photographer at What Great Grandma Ate. She started her blog to share her story of overcoming years of digestive issues and adrenal fatigue, and to help others realize that nutrient-dense allergen-free cooking can be simple, easy, and delicious. Jean believes that the food you love should love you back through healing and nourishment. For more of her real food recipes and SoCal adventures, follow along on her Instagram and Facebook.