Better than Chipotle
I’m on a mission to save you the two bucks on guacamole with some Chipotle favorites you can make at home. For example, I shared a recipe for a colorful, veggie-based Burrito Bowl.
I love Chipotle’s salads so much that I set out to make a copycat version at home. I’ve used seasoned ground beef for easy and speedy preparation here, but you can substitute carnitas or the shredded seasoned chicken from that burrito bowl recipe.
About the Ingredients in Paleo Taco Salad
Ground beef, cooked with taco seasoning, makes this salad a protein-rich meal. You can substitute ground meat of your choice.
As for the taco seasoning, I’ve struggled to find a clean store-bought brand. Packets of taco seasonings often contain grain-based flours and preservatives. My local food co-op offers a clean taco seasoning in their bulk spice section, but I haven’t found it elsewhere. I love this homemade taco seasoning from Kristen, which you can make with simple spices. Make the larger batch so you have it on hand for future meals.
Enjoy your favorite veggies as an addition to this salad. I add diced red bell pepper, diced avocado, and sliced black olives.
Pico de gallo and sprouted pumpkin seeds are other optional additions to take this salad over-the-top.
My homemade dairy-free ranch dressing is thick and creamy, without the MSG or corn syrup found in the classic Hidden Valley.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 - 2 Tbs. taco seasoning (I suggest this homemade taco seasoning)
- Chopped romaine lettuce -- 1½ - 2 cups lettuce per serving
- Additional veggies of your choice: diced red bell peppers, diced avocado, black olives
- Pico de gallo, if desired
- Sprouted pumpkin seeds,available here, if desired
- Guacamole, if desired
- My dairy free ranch dressing recipe
- Optional: grain free tortilla chips for serving, I lovethis brand
- In a saute pan over medium heat, cook the ground beef with the taco seasoning. Start with 1 Tbs. of seasoning and increase to 2 Tbs. after tasting, if you want more spice.
- You'll have enough meat for 4 to 6 servings. You can keep leftovers in the fridge for a couple days. Prepare the amount of lettuce and vegetables according to how many servings you desire.
- For each salad, take a couple handfuls of chopped romaine and top it with the veggies and optional additions of your choice. Enjoy with the dairy free ranch dressing.
- I love serving this salad with a side of thesegrain free tortilla chips.