From Lauren: This recipe is from a fellow Nutritional Therapy Practitioner, Michelle Hoover, who regularly contributes her Autoimmune Paleo-friendly recipes here.
Pasta salad is one of my all-time favorite summer-time side dishes. Fresh flavors, a yummy sauce, and a forever crowd pleaser… what more could you want? It’s amazing at summer cookouts, or even just an easy weeknight side dish, but not all pasta salads are created equal. The pasta salad that I grew up with was made from white pasta, mystery mayonnaise, and flavor packets filled with fillers and MSG. No thanks!
This paleo mediterranean pasta salad is grain free, dairy free, made from fresh vegetables, and it’s even autoimmune protocol compliant. It’s perfect for satisfying that nostalgic craving for pasta salad without risking feeling like junk.
The Ingredients You’ll Need For the Paleo Mediterranean Pasta Salad
Zucchini noodles – You can either use a spiralizer to make zucchini noodles, or buy them pre-spiralized from a grocery story.
Red onions- I love using red onions is AIP recipes as they give a little bit of a spicy kick!
Black olives- Sliced black olives add more flavor and healthy fats
Cucumber- These add some more freshness crunch.
Parsley- Fresh herbs are always welcome!
Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and lemon- This makes up the dressing for the pasta salad.
- For the pasta salad
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 zucchinis, spiraled
- ½ red onion, diced
- ¼ cup black olives, sliced
- ½ cucumber, chopped into half moons
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- For the dressing
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- Using a large skillet, slow heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over low heat. Sauté the zucchini noodles for 2-3 minutes or until slightly softened. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add the cooled zucchini noodles to a large serving bowl and mix with the remainder of the salad ingredients.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the ingredients, and seasoning further to taste if desired.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta salad stir to combine.
- Serve fresh and enjoy!
About Michelle Hoover
Michelle Hoover is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner, Blogger, and Podcaster at Unbound Wellness. After being diagnosed with Hashimoto’s in her teens and living with gut issues and food intolerances her entire life, she started her blog to share her holistic lifestyle tips and paleo/AIP recipes that helped her heal and thrive. Michelle believes that real food doesn’t have to be boring and loves sharing recipes that are both nourishing and fun. You can follow along on her Instagram and Facebook.