Here’s another way to transform veggies and protein into a quick and flavorful meal.
I don’t have much to say about this recipe except that I love it so much I’ve made it three times in one week.
You’ll notice I am loosey-goosey with the measurements (a “medium” squash and a “small head” of cauliflower, rather than precise cup measurements). That’s because this recipe is very flexible, and the less you have to measure, the easier this meal is.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 small head of cauliflower (or half a large head) cut into florets
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil or ghee
- 6 skinless/boneless chicken thighs or two skinless/boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Juice of 2 large/3 small limes
- Primal Kitchen’s Cilantro Lime Dressing, optional but HIGHLY recommended (best price available at Thrive Market)
- Salsa of your choice, optional
- Put the butternut squash cubes in a blender or food processor, and pulse until you get rice-sized crumbles.
- Heat 1 Tbs. of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the butternut rice. Start cooking, and meanwhile pulse the cauliflower to make into rice-sized crumbles as well. Then add the cauliflower to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally.
- While the cauliflower-squash rice is cooking, heat the other tablespoon of oil in a saute pan and add the chicken. Cook over medium heat until the chicken is done.
- When the veggie rice is tender (about 7-10 minutes), add the cooked chicken with any flavorful juice from the chicken pan.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste, and add the cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve with the optional Primal Kitchens dressing and salsa.