From Lauren: This recipe is created by Michelle Hoover, a fellow Nutritional Therapy Practitioner who regularly contributes autoimmune paleo recipes.
Blueberry season is upon us, and the possibilities for enjoying them are endless! Blueberries are delicious in salads, as sauces on savory dishes, and of course as a sweet treat. These berries are sweet and tasty on their own, but bumping it up a notch with this paleo blueberry crisp makes them even more delicious.
This paleo blueberry crisp is nut free, autoimmune protocol compliant, and simple to make. It’s the perfect dessert to bring to a picnic, backyard barbecue of even just to make at home for your family.
The Ingredients You’ll Need for the Blueberry Crisp
- Blueberries- Fresh blueberries are the preferred base for this dish.
- Coconut flour and shredded coconut- This creates a crumbly, rich crisp topping.
- Tigernut flour- Tigernuts are not a nut, but a tuber with a rich, nutty flavor. You can get tigernut flour here.
- Tapioca starch- You can also sub arrowroot flour here.
- Coconut oil- A binder in the crisp.
- Maple syrup- To up to the dessert factor in this dish. You could substitute honey if desired.
- Preheat the oven for 350 F and have ready a 8×8″ baking pan
- Combine the blueberries and lemon juice in the baking pan.
- To make the crisp, combine the coconut flour, tigernut flour shredded coconut, and tapioca starch and sift together. Stir in the wet ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Using a spoon, spread the crisp topping over the blueberries, evenly covering them
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the topping is cooked.
About Michelle Hoover
Michelle Hoover is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner, Blogger, and Podcaster at Unbound Wellness. After being diagnosed with Hashimoto’s in her teens and living with gut issues and food intolerances her entire life, she started her blog to share her holistic lifestyle tips and paleo/AIP recipes that helped her heal and thrive. Michelle believes that real food doesn’t have to be boring and loves sharing recipes that are both nourishing and fun. You can follow along on her Instagram and Facebook.