Sure, there are downsides to being the blogger behind Empowered Sustenance. For example, experimenting with a homemade lip balm recipe and disastrously clogging up your own dishwashing machine in the process. Or the many (many, many) times I have said goodbye to precious amounts of coconut oil and coconut flour when my recipe testing utterly fails.
But there are also highlights of my blogging journey that make all the mishaps and struggles fade nearly out of memory. One of the brightest highlights was spending four days of my spring break with Anthony Morrocco and the Morrocco Method team at their headquarters in San Luis Obispo!
As you probably know, I’ve been a passionate Morrocco Method advocate for more than a year. It all started when I tried their 100% raw shampoos and was immediately hooked. I wrote the post 5 Tips for Holistic Hair Care with Morrocco Method and it all began.
When Anthony invited me to San Luis Obispo, I leaped at the chance to to meet the MM team in person and see how the products are made.
While everything about this experience was a highlight, here are a few of the moments that stand out:
– Staying as a guest in Anthony’s castle! He refurbished a mansion that was a replication of a Bavarian castle. But what is even more extraordinary is that he lives and breathes his passion for reduce, reuse and recycle. Nearly everything in his home, from the dinner china to the handblown chandeliers to the antique French armoires, were purchased from thrift stores, garage sales and estate sales. If something is available used, then he will buy it used. His entire closet, comprised of designer labels, was also thrifted!
– Can you believe this view from his patio?!
– Soaking in the breathtaking scenery of SLO and the surrounding area. From the sandy beach at El Morro Bay to the nearby state parks to the rolling hills of quaint farmland, I felt like I was soaking the beauty of the location into my bones.
– Visiting the MM headquarters to meet the whirlwind team behind Morrocco Method. I knew almost all of them through email conversations, but it was wonderful to finally connect in person. I also toured the production area to see where the items are handmade from raw ingredients to final product.
– Did you know that the shampoos and other hair products are mixed according to the lunar cycle? This is a time-honored ritual practiced by ancient medicine makers from across the globe. Products were not being mixed on the days that I was visiting, for that reason, but I did see all the raw ingredients and how they were packaged.
Here are shampoos being filled by hand:
And this is the huge mixer where the ingredients are combined for the products:
You’ve likely seen Blood of the Dragon on the ingredient list of various MM products. Here’s what it looks like in its raw state – it’s a fluffy, bark-like texture:
– Farmer’s marketing in San Luis Obispo… home of the most incredible produce I’ve ever tasted. The locally grown food, seafood and meats are some of the best in the world, due to the rich soil and climate.
Eating – or attempting to – every meal with chopsticks. Anthony has eaten every meal for the last 40 years with chopsticks. I found that it creates an elevated and mindful eating experience.
– Getting to try the newest MM product, amla powder, before it launched. I will have a full post about it on Tuesday!
– Having a blast at with the MM team in Anthony’s wine cellar, called the Cava, for a staff party (I evidently have a huge bite of delicious food in my mouth for this candid picture!).
When I first started using MM shampoos, I knew the bottles contained something extraordinary beyond the purity of ingredients. Why was I so draw to a shampoo with immediate enthusiasm?
When a company is truly passionate about a mission, I believe this passion can be experienced through their product. Morrocco Method infuses their products with their integrity, and it shows. Anthony, Katelyn, Katie, Connor, Colin, Curtis, Margo, Israel, and Richard… I couldn’t be more grateful for my time at Morrocco Method, thank you!
Empower Your Hair
In between all the eating and beach walks and farmer’s marketing and more eating, we did somehow manage to work on a couple fun collaborations.
To celebrate the launch of Morrocco Method’s newest product, amla powder, we decided to re-run the Empower Your Hair Package. When it was available in December, it flew off the shelves. This limited-time exclusive package contains:
- 5 trial-size (2 oz each) raw shampoos with carrying case (Why are MM shampoos so special?)
- Full size amla powder (It’s an incredible volumizing and conditioning treatment. I’ll have a detailed post about amla powder up on Tuesday)
- Diamond Crystal Mist (2 oz) (How can I use Diamond Crystal Mist?)
- Large scalp massager
Together, these products would be $62 but I worked with the MM team to get this package down to $49… that’s more than 20% off my favorite MM products! It’s available here.
I hope you enjoyed this behind-the-scenes view of Morrocco Method!