A Healthy Treat: Homemade Chocolate Cups
These healthy homemade chocolate cups provide the perfect excuse to play Martha Stewart for a day. Need a show-stopping dessert? End dinner with these gorgeous chocolate cups filled with ice cream and then just casually mention, “How do you like the edible serving dishes? I just threw them together this afternoon.”
But let’s get real. Although the concept of a hand-crafted chocolate cup seems pretentious, these cute treats are easy enough for to make a fun family dessert.
Nourishing coconut oil provides a rich and silky base for these chocolate cups. This metabolism-boosting fat boasts a myriad of health benefits and I like to use it wherever possible. Raw honey or pure maple syrup adds natural sweetness.
In keeping with our dairy, nut, egg and sugar free theme, I filled these cups with my Easy Banana Chai Ice Cream and sprinkled on some shredded coconut.
Gorgeous and delicious. ‘Nuff said.
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (be the change you want to see and get organic, fair trade cocoa powder
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbs. raw honey or pure maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- OR 1 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (they are dairy/nut/soy free)
- Unbleached baking cups for liners
- If you are using the cocoa powder/honey/coconut oil: In a small saucepan, whisk together all ingredients over low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat and let sit at room temperature until slightly thickened. The texture should be like a thick glaze consistency. It may be necessary to put it in the fridge for a few moments. But keep an eye on it, because it will harden very quickly in the fridge.
- If you are using chocolate chips: Melt the chocolate chips over very low heat, stirring with a spatula. Heat until just melted and don't over heat. It is now ready to use for the next step.
- Line a muffin dish with about 5 liners. Using a pastry brush, coat the cupcake liners with the chocolate mixture. It should be thick enough to be fully opaque. Thicker is better. It may help to do one coat, let that sit, and then do another coating of chocolate.
- This is sounding complicated, but it is very intuitive and simple. Trust me.
- Stick in the fridge or freezer until hardened. Carefully peel away the cupcake liners. If you are making these for guests, make extra because you will have the inevitable breakage.
- Add your favorite filling and serve! Keep these in the fridge/freezer--they will get melty if left at room temperature for too long.
What would you use as a filling for these fun chocolate cups?
These look awesome! Just started Gluten Free Diet after years of IBS, chronic fatigue and a long list of other autoimmune issues. I just purchased silicone liners, and wonder if they would come out okay that way. Never tried it, but will, especially the banana chai dessert. SO happy I found your site, and that God continues to heal you.
HI…Has anyone run across a recipe for chocolate that is dairy and refined sugar free that hardens and does not have to be kept in the fridge or freezer?
Wow, that is a really good idea, have you tired it with doing white chocolate cups yet? I’ve got to try this.
I’ll make this!!! Any filling ideas? Thanks!
so where’s the recipe for banana chai ice cream?! I got all excited 😉
Lauren G (Empowered Sustenance)
I linked it in the post, here it is: http://empoweredsustenance.com/easy-banana-chai-ice-cream-paleo-and-allergen-free/ 🙂 You’ll love it!
how do you get the paper off with out the chocolate melting in your hands??? and the paper is hard to get off.. whats the secret???
please. I was going to make a nice white chocolate clustered and take it to my friends for dessert but its not working very well
Lauren G (Empowered Sustenance)
It’s important to make the chocolate thick enough – you can add another layer of melted chocolate or the homemade cocoa powder mixture, then place it back in the fridge.
THANK YOU! I am trying to quit chocolate and cookies and just sweets in general because they make me feel so incredibly AWFUL, but I’m going crazy for something sweet yet simple (and not terrible for me)! I know it’s all the extra junk that’s in the candy, so here’s to hoping this works for me! Trying tonight!