Is cell phone radiation dangerous?
Next time you use your cellphone next to your ear, notice if you feel a slight tingling sensation in your hands or face. I will notice a tingling in my hands after 5-10 minutes of holding my phone while making a call. Many people who, like me, are moderately sensitive to EMFs (harmful electromagnetic frequencies), feel slightly “buzzed” after prolonged exposure to cell phone radiation.
Even if you don’t notice physical symptoms from using your cell phone, the facts are in: cell phone radiation does present health risks.
This post is generously sponsored by DefenderShield. As always, I only recommend products when I’ve used them personally with great results. I’m grateful for the support of sponsors like DefenderShield, as it keeps Empowered Sustenance up and running.
What is cell phone radiation?
The Electromagnetic Spectrum range from non-ioninzing extremely low frequency radiation to visible light to ionizing gamma rays. Cell phones emit two types of questionable electromagnetic rays:
- Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) radiation, produced by the phones’ internal components.
- Radio frequency (RF) radiation. This transmits signals from the cell antennae tower to the cell phone, as well as WiFi and Bluetooth. It’s well known that ionizing RF (think nuclear radiation and gamma rays) cause cellular damage, but less known that non-ionizing RF presents biological risks.
Industry research on cell phone radiation
Radiation and EMFs… that sounds like a dangerous slew of electromagnetic waves to concentrate near our brain, right?
It would appear so. Perplexingly, however, the FDA states,
Many people are concerned that cell phone radiation will cause cancer or other serious health hazards. The weight of scientific evidence has not linked cell phones with any health problems.
Why is research on the dangers of cell phone radiation a mixed bag? In two words: industry bias.
Funding bias is real. A study published in the Environmental Health Perspectives Journal found that industry-funded research was vastly more likely to show no health effects. Industry-funded research showed no health effects 72% of the time, while independently-funded research showed biological impacts 67% of the time.
Research bias on EMFs/radiation can be appropriately compared to research bias on pharmaceutical drugs. I believe it is only reasonable to assume that the largest, most influential corporations – including Big Pharma companies and network providers – will throw their weight around to influence study results.
Richard Horton, editor-in-chief of the prestigious medical journal the Lancet, published the statement,
The case against science is straightforward: much of the scientific literature, perhaps half, may simply be untrue. Afflicted by studies with small sample sizes, tiny effects, invalid exploratory analyses, and flagrant conflicts of interest, together with an obsession for pursuing fashionable trends of dubious importance, science has taken a turn towards darkness.
Another journal-published article stated the same thing: “It can be proven that most claimed research findings are false.” Shocking, right? This false scientific literature is used as the foundation to develop drugs and educate medical staff.
Independent Research on Cell Phone Radiation
With industry bias present, we have conflicting research on cell phone radiation. But we have weighty independent research suggesting the health dangers of “unprotected cell phone use.”
- A meta-analysis in the Clinical Journal of Oncology compared the results of 23 studies on cell phone radiation. The authors determined that in the “higher-quality studies” there was a harmful association between cell phone use and tumor risk. (Source)
- According to the Bioinitiative Report, an independent assessment which can be viewed here , “Roughly, 1800 new studies have been published [between 2007 and 2012] reporting effects at [radiation/EMF] exposure levels ten to hundreds or thousands of times lower than allowed under safety limits in most countries of the world.”
- A 2007 Israeli study found that 5 minutes of exposure to radiation 1/10th the power of a cell phone cause changes in human and rat cell chemicals. Another 2007 study showed that cell phone radiation caused cancer in mice. (Source).
- A 2009 study showed that one hour of cell phone RF exposure on human semen damaged sperm reproductive health (source).
- “... I have found more than 30 studies showing chromosome damage in people exposed to radiofrequency microwave radiation [RF]. This is far more than we have for benzine, which is a carcinogen.” stated Dr Neil Cherry, a physicist and EMF researcher (source).
- Over 100 references to the destructive properties of EMFs and cell phone radiation can be found here. Additionally, DefenderShield has compiled EMF research here, categorized by health issues.
Given the above research on cell phone EMF radiation, what conclusions can we draw?
- More independently-funded research is needed.
- Because we do not have enough evidence to prove chronic cell phone use safe at all ages, we are the research. We subjects in this uncontrolled science experiment. And if we do not want to volunteer our bodies to this experiement, we must take steps to opt-out.
I have no doubt in my mind that, at the present time, the greatest polluting element in the earth’s environment is the proliferation of electromagnetic fields. – Dr Robert O. Becker, Nobel Prize nominee
3 Ways to Reduce EMF Exposure
It may seem like common sense, but these are three accessible methods to reduce the risks of daily EMF/Radiation exposure:
- Get distance. In fancy physics language, radiation follows the inverse-square law. That means radiation intensity exponentially decreases with distance. Keeping your phone on your desk vs. in your pocket makes a huge distance.
- Reduce exposure time. Radiation carries an accumulative affect. Conscious, practical choices to reduce daily radiation/EMF exposure goes a long way.
- Use EMF shielding. I use DefenderShield products, including their EMF phone case, which I review below.
Using an EMF phone case is a crucial step for reducing EMF exposure. For more practical options for protecting your family, check out my post Electropollution 101.
DefenderShield EMF Phone Case
My relationship with DefenderShield began years ago, when I got a DefenderPad to use under my laptop. I use it diligently when I have my laptop on my body, since I’ll always remember my my nutritional therapy instructor telling our class, “Don’t zap your uterus or fry your swimmers with laptop radiation!” As a fertility specialist, she believed that the research surrounding laptop radiation warrants protecting our reproductive organs from laptop radiation emissions. Read the research on laptop radiation and my review of DefenderPad here.
I’ve been long awaiting DefenderShield’s release of two new products: their tablet case and their EMF phone cases. I recommend both on my Resources Page, and also highlighted them in my December Gift Guide.
DefenderShield’s EMF phone case, available here, uses a unique design to allow cell reception, while blocking radiation from the body. The flip-side of the case is made with an independently-tested material which blocks virtually 100% of the EMFs, RFs, and ELFs emitted from the phone.
Even better, the design allows you to put your phone to your head while blocking the EMFs. While chatting, you flip the case closed and hold it to your head. Reception still goes through, but a shield exists between the radiation and your brain. With this case, I can hold my phone while talking on it, without the tingling feeling I discussed above. I use my phone on the speaker setting, and hold the flip-side (shielded side) in my hand.
If you keep your phone in your pocket for most of the day, I would prioritize this EMF phone case. Remember that distance has an exponential effect on radiation levels – a phone on your body rather than on your nearby desk is a significant difference. I rarely put my phone in my pocket, but I knew that keeping my un-shielded phone in my purse wasn’t much better. My purse lays against my body as well.
While the efficacy of these cell cases are most important to me, I greatly appreciate the aesthetic as well. The cases are ultra-lightweight, sleek and non-bulky.
EMF Phone Case Coupon
I do my best to provide coupon codes for my favorite resources, and DefenderShield generously created an exclusive coupon for you. Use coupon code EMPOWERED for 10% off your purchase at DefenderShield.com, PLUS get free shipping. This coupon is valid for 2 weeks, through January 27th.
The cases are currently available for iPhone 5 (pictured), iPhone 6, iPhone 6 plus, Galaxy 5, and Galaxy 6.
Have you made steps to protect your family from EMFs? Do you use cell phone EMF protection?
The DefenderShield cell phone cases are made of PU: polyurethane. I would rather not have a case made out of a type of plastic that degrades, cracks, and crumbles over time – especially for an item that is in my hand and near my head frequently. Any thoughts, anyone?
Hi Lauren, thank you for your valuable information. I have just entered the coupon code and it says it has expired. It’s the 27th January 9.13am here in the UK. I belived it to be valid right through to the end of the 27th?
Will this case cause issues with cell phone signal?
Are sport watches and 24hour activity trackers also harmful? I have been wearing my Polar M400 on my wrist for a year now and I use the Bluetooth-based heart rate monitor around my chest quite often (3-4 times a week).
Thank you for sharing this article to protect us from electromagnetic waves. http://emfprotectionusa.com/