Have you ever had a bad hair day…
…that lasted a year? I have. Years ago, when I threw out all the toxic body care products from my bathroom, I was determined to find a hair care line that met my new ingredient standards.
I started with DIY hair care, and walked around with my hair displaying the results of my at-home science experiment. One day, it would be dull and brittle from the No Poo method. The next, it would be an oil slick from various herb rinses that didn’t adequately cleanse.
Finally, I found Morrocco Method, a line of 100% raw and non-toxic hair care. I restored the health of my hair and discovered the liberation of low-maintenance hair care.
If you struggle with oily, thin or limp hair, get started with these three steps to detox hair, which allow me to define my natural waves without any harsh heat tools or gummy styling products. These are also the best methods I’ve found for adding natural volume to my fine hair.
1. Switch to raw, non-sudsing shampoo
The Morrocco Method routine rests on the philosophy that healthy hair, like a healthy body, requires both nourishment and detoxification. This unique perspective on haircare determines the ingredient selection in MM products.
MM stands apart from nearly all other shampoo options because it does not create a lather or suds. This doesn’t strip the protective oils of your scalp and balances the pH of the scalp. As a result, MM says, the scalp tends to purge toxins and gradually shed the layers of residue from synthetic, plastic-based hair products. The oil production of the scalp also re-balances.
During this Transition Period, also called the Detox Period, the hair may feel oily or heavy. This purging and rebalancing time can last up to a month or more. The good news? The light at the end of the tunnel means you will have shiny, healthy, low-maintenance locks.
To ease the Detox Period, I recommend the following steps:
- Shampoo with MM shampoos more often (such as 5-6 times per week). You will be able reduce the frequency of the shampooing as your scalp detoxes and balances.
- To try all shampoos at a discount price, get my Empower Your Hair kit.
- Use the MM’s dry shampoo, discussed below, to add volume and absorb oil.
- Use MM’s Zen Detox, a powerhouse product discussed below, to absorb excess oil and deep cleanse the scalp.
2. Use Volcanic Dry Shampoo
I’ve been waiting for this product launch for years and, last month, Morrocco Method released their Volcanic Dry Shampoo, available here. As soon the box with the dry shampoo arrived at my door, I ran to the mirror to try it.
This clay-based dry shampoo creates absorbs excess oil and adds serious volume to hair between washings. If you are in the Transition Period, this will help you decrease the frequency of your shampooings. As a result, as you’ll save money on product and save time.
Key ingredients in Volcanic Dry Shampoo include:
- Bentonite Clay, to volumize and absorb oil
- Aloe vera and prickly pear powder, to balance pH and moisturize without adding weight
- Detoxifying herbs, to support the detox of the scalp
3. Use Zen Detox
Zen Detox, available here, is a mud mask for the scalp. This blend of volcanic ash and detoxifying herbs is mixed with water, then applied to your scalp. As it sits, it draws out impurities and balances the pH of the scalp. Here are a couple of my tips for using this unique product:
- Use once monthly for maintenance, or once weekly for your first month of using Morrocco Method (you’ll get 3-4 uses per container). It reduces the symptoms of the Detox Period when your hair may feel oily.
- Get ready for fabulous volume that lasts days after your Zen Detox treatment. This is my favorite result of the treatment.
- After thoroughly rinsing the treatment from your hair, follow with a cool water rinse as the directions suggest. It’s not the most comfortable, but the cool water makes a huge difference in the shine and softness of my hair after using Zen Detox.
The Empower Your Hair Kit
- If you want to get started with MM, I created an introductory package with my essentials, and you save almost 30%. No coupon is necessary and the Empower Your Hair package is available here.
- Get a bonus of Zen Detoxsample along with a travel-size Diamond Crystal Mist. Use coupon SUSTENANCE50 on orders over $50.