Dairy Free Caramel Sauce from Indulge
Today’s post is from Carol at Ditch The Wheat. As a fan of her popular book, Indulge: 70 Grain Free Desserts, I invited her to share this simple dairy free caramel sauce recipe from the book. I like how Indulge offers a wide variety of both almond flour and coconut flour recipes and everything from apple fritters to tea cookies. Many of the recipes (but not all) are suitable for the SCD/GAPS diet and all of the recipes are paleo-friendly.
This dairy free caramel sauce recipe was made to make it easy for you to remember it. You start with coconut oil, double the amount for the next ingredient and then double the amount for the next ingredient. Pretty easy, right!
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk, available here
- ¼ cup raw honey, get a free jar here
- 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- Optional: a pinch of unrefined salt
- Mix all ingredients together in a small pot. Please note, if you double the recipe you also need to use a larger pot.
- Turn the heat to high, whisking constantly.
- Once the sauce comes to a boil lower the heat to medium.
- Continue whisking constantly.
- When the sauce begins to thicken, turn the heat to low.
- The sauce is done when the colour is light brown.
- Take the pot off of the heat and pour the mixture into a bowl/container. Serve once cooled.
- If you need to reheat the sauce, heat on a low setting in a pot on the stove. There may be some separation of oil when reheated.
Awesome recipe! but what if you con’t have a microwave?
Sorry, was on a few recipe sites and was commenting on another one… and don’t have a Delete button 🙁
Would adding a tiny bit of Gelatin with the coconut act like a gum would to thicken it up a little bit? I was thinking about that but wasn’t sure how much to try.
Thanks for a great recipe! We’ve already enjoyed it on an apple and plan to have it on popcorn tonight 🙂
Just made this recipe and was able to thicken it by boiling it for five minutes after following the recipe. It makes it a little browner and gives it a little more flavor. I’ve made a couple caramel recipes. I’m trying to find the perfect one. Cane sugar, cassein and whey trigger migraines but can use butter.
I was just wondering what you use this for? What kinds of things do you put it on?
I’m afraid I’m neither gluten- nor dairy-free, but when I saw this salivary-gland-igniting caramel sauce, I just had to pin it and share it. In fact, yesterday, it was Recipe of the Day on a Facebook page I curate called “Cooking with Whole Grains & Whole Foods.” I hope you don’t mind.
Definitely will be giving this recipe a try soon. No better time than the holidays!
So I just attempted this recipe and mine as turned out with the consistency of water, thinner if that’s possible. Any ideas to thicken it slightly?
My kiddo is allergic to dairy and coconuts, tree nuts, nut oils. Do you have any recommendations for what to swap the coconut oil and coconut milk for?
Does this have a coconut taste at all?
“Ditch wheat, not flavor or texture”? That is exactly the problem I have with this recipe: lack of texture! I need it to have some REAL BODY…THICK. Judging by the pics, this does not serve my purpose, this one looks like a runner. If I may be so candid, I’ve seen thicker pee ????
I don’t doubt the recipe is on point for flavor, however…