I love cooking and experimenting in the kitchen, but sometimes I just run out of energy and want something easy for meals. For busy days, I like to have a few pre-made components in the fridge to quickly assemble a meal. This creamy grain free gravy is one of my staples.
I often make double or triple batches of this gravy, and freeze half of it. I love this gravy on chicken, beef, or salmon. I even toss it with zucchini pasta or spaghetti squash for a dairy free spin on fettucini alfredo.
It is also perfect for holiday meals as a substitute for flour-thickened gravy.
- 2 Tbs. ghee
- ½ onion, diced
- ¼ head cauliflower florets (1/4 lb. cauliflower)
- ½ or ¾ cup broth or juice from a roast
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1- 2 Tbs. fat from the pan drippings (substitute an additional tablespoon of ghee)
- Optional: 1 scoop collagen peptides, available here
- the onions until deep brown, soft, and caramelized, stirring often. It will take about 15 minutes.
- While onion is cooking, prepare the cauliflower. Steam cauliflower florets until very tender. Drain well.
- Puree cauliflower with the caramelized onion and ½ to ¾ cup stock or pan juice and the fat or pan drippings. If gravy is too thick, add more broth. Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- Optionally, to add nutrient-dense protein, stir in the collagen peptides. It dissolves without flavor or texture.