Why choose coconut flour?
The start of my grain free diet a few years ago marked the beginning of my love affair with coconut flour. Although it can be finicky, I’ve found that coconut flour is greatly rewarding in the right recipes. The key is using adequate liquid and eggs to act as a binder to prevent a dry or crumbly result. When used in the correct amount, coconut flour creates delightfully moist and light-textured baked goods.
Because coconut flour has such a unique composition and baking properties, there is not a straight-forward substitute for it. In the same way, it can’t be substituted for a different type of flour in a recipe. The below recipes will give you a wide variety of ways to enjoy this healthy grain-free flour.
Benefits of coconut flour
It’s one of the healthiest flours available – grain flour such as wheat, barley and spelt contain gluten which is very difficult to digest. Even gluten free flours are often inflammatory due to the carbohydrate load. Because coconut flour is not a grain-based flour, it is non-inflammatory and low in carbs.
It boasts healthy fats – coconut flour contains fats from coconut oil, which are primarily medium-chain saturated fatty acids (MCTs). MCTs have been shown to improve metabolism and are used for energy, not stored in fat tissue. Unlike other nut and seed flours, like the commonly used almond flour, coconut flour is very low in omega-6. Omega-6 is inflammatory when consumed in excess, which is why I advocate only occasional use of almond flour.
It does not contain enzyme inhibitors – another strike against other nut and seed flours is the high content of enzyme inhibitors, which can wreak havoc on digestion. Learn more in my post 5 Reasons to Avoid Almond Flour. Coconuts contain negligible amounts of enzyme inhibitors.
It is high in fiber – this provides a satiating effect to coconut flour baked goods. However, the high fiber content can make coconut flour difficult for some people to digest. I recommend consuming no more than 4 tablespoons of coconut flour per day to avoid any irritation to the GI tract. If you experience discomfort consuming coconut flour (it’s not common, but it’s not rare either), you may need to scale it back to 2 tablespoons per day.
A little goes a long way – coconut flour may seem a little pricey, but remember that a little goes a long way. For example, in my Coconut Flour Cupcakes recipe, a mere 1/2 cup of coconut flour makes 8 cupcakes!
Where can I find (free!) coconut flour?
Thrive Market is my favorite online health food store, and I’ve taken advantage of the steep discounts and the occasional free products they offer members. I can pass on one of those freebies to you today (this is not a sponsored post): Thrive is offering a FREE 1 lb. bag of organic coconut flour, with orders over $50 here.
Like Costco, Thrive offers wholesale prices to their members, and this gift is available to both new and returning members. Membership starts with a month-long free trial. The membership fee is worth every penny – I saved so much on my first Thrive order that it canceled out the cost of my yearly membership.
Ready to start baking with coconut flour, and 25-50% on healthy living essentials? Click here to get your free coconut flour at Thrive.
How do I store coconut flour?
Store coconut flour in an air-tight container at room temperature for a couple of months. To prolong the shelf life for up to a year, I recommend storing it in the freezer. Bring to room temperature before using in a recipe.
Coconut Flour Recipes for Breads
(Pictured from left to right #1 – #4)
1. Coconut Flour Flatbread, from me
2. Coconut Flour Banana Bread, from Gutsy
3. Basic Coconut Flour Bread Loaf, from Colorful Eats Nutrition
4. Coconut Flour Paleo Sandwich Rounds, from me
5. Sweet Potato Bread, from Whole Food Simply
6. Simple Coconut Flour Bread, from Whole Food Simply
7. Coconut Flour Herbed Flatbread (in a sheet pan), from Gutsy
8. Coconut Flour + Tapioca Bread, from The Paleo Mom
9. Coconut Flour Apple Carrot Bread, from Multiply Delicious
10. Coconut Flour Cinnamon Raisin Bread, from Coconut Contentment
11. Sweetener-Free Coconut Flour Banana Bread, from Free Coconut Recipes
12. Coconut Flour Chocolate Zucchini Bread, from Comfy Belly
13. Savory Coconut Flour Zucchini Bread, from me
14. Coconut Flour Lemon Loaf with Lemon Drizzle, from Cony’s Finally Losing It
Coconut Flour Recipes for Cakes and Cupcakes
(Pictured from left to right #15 – 18)
15. Coconut Flour Cupcakes with Paleo Frostings, from me
16. Sweet Potato Bunt Cakes, from Lausun Day Cooks
17. Coconut Flour Coffee Cake, from Deliciously Organic
18. Coconut Flour Jam Sponge Roll, from An Aussie with Chron’s
19. Coconut Flour Cardamom Cupcakes with Lemon Frosting, from me
20. Paleo German Chocolate Cake, from Food Faith Fitness
21. Coconut Flour Crepe Cake, from The Clean Dish
22. Chocolate Cupcakes with Raspberry Filling and Chocolate Ganache, from me
23. Coconut Flour Cranberry Cake with Hot Butter Sauce, from Loving Our Guts
24. Chocolate Layer Cake with Orange Chocolate Ganache, from Life Food Journey
25. Coconut Flour Plantain Cake with Caramel Sauce, from Ditch the Wheat
26. Lemon Blueberry Poke Cake, from Beauty and the Foodie
27. Coconut Flour Layer Cake with Maple Buttercream, from Rubies and Radishes
28. Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Honey Frosting, from Civilized Caveman
29. Banana Coconut Breakfast Cake, from Bonnie Delicious
30. Coconut Flour Pound Cake, from The Urban Poser
31. Coconut Flour Lemon Petit Fours, from me
32. Coconut Flour Gingerbread with Cream Cheese Frosting, from Paleo Fondue
33. Coconut Flour Custard Cake, from My Humble Kitchen
34. Grain Free Strawberry Layer Cake, from me
35. Cranberry Upside Down Cake (with coconut and arrowroot flour), from Nourishing Meals
(Pictured from left to right #32 – #35)
Coconut Flour Recipes for Donuts
(Pictured from left to right #36 – #39)
36. Vanilla Cardamom Coconut Flour Donuts, from Pure 2 Raw
37. Coconut Flour Strawberry Donuts, from Against All Grain
38. Coconut Flour Pumpkin Spice Donuts with Cream Frosting, from Multiply Delicious
39. Coconut Flour Chocolate Banana Donuts with Salted Caramel, from me
40. Pumpkin Creme-Filled Donuts, from PaleOMG
41. Chocolate Coffee Banana Donuts, from PaleOMG
42. Honey-Dipped Coconut Flour Donuts, from Comfy Belly
Coconut Flour Recipes for Muffins
(Pictured from left to right #43 – #46)
43. Simple Coconut Flour Muffins, from me
44. Coconut Flour Raspberry Almond Muffins, from Civilized Caveman
45. Coconut Flour Blueberry Muffins, from Maria Rickert Hong
46. Coconut Flour Lemon Poppyseed Muffins, from Cook Eat Paleo
47. Apple Cinnamon Coconut Flour Muffins, from Wellness Mama
48. Coconut Flour Cranberry Muffins, from Healy Eats Real
49. Avocado Banana Coconut Flour Muffins, from Fast Paleo
50. Coconut Flour Popovers, from Thank Your Body
51. Coconut Flour Rhubarb Lemon Muffins, from me
52. Apricot Lime Coconut Flour Muffins, from Janine’s Real Food Recipes
53. Garlic Herb Coconut Flour Muffins, from Healy Eats Real
54. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins, from PaleOMG
55. Coconut Flour Banana Walnut Muffins, from Mommypotamus
56. Banana Cinnamon Bun Muffins, from Multiply Delicious
(Pictured from left to right #53 – #56)
Coconut Flour Recipes for Cookies
(Pictured from left to right #57 – #60)
57. Coconut Flour Banana Macaroons, from me
58. Coconut Flour Lady Fingers, from Primal Palate
59. Double Chocolate Coconut Flour Cookies, from Ditch the Wheat
60. Coconut Flour Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies, from J Chong Studio
61. Dark Chocolate Avocado Cookies, from Things My Belly Likes
62. Coconut Flour Spice Cookies, from Nourish With Karen
63. Three Ingredient Coconut Flour Cookies, my guest post at The Coconut Mama
64. Basic Coconut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies, from Free Coconut Recipes
65. Coconut Flour Peanut Butter Cookies, from Just a Pinch
66. Pumpkin Spice Coconut Cookies, from A Girl Worth Saving
67. Coconut Flour Shortbread (with arrowroot flour), from Karolina’s Kitchen
68. Coconut Flour Linzer Cookies, from Real Food Forager
69. Ginger Fennel Coconut Flour Cookies, from me
(Pictured from left to right #66 – #69)
Coconut Flour Recipes for Pancakes and Waffles
(Pictured from left to right #70 – #73)
70. Ultimate Coconut Flour Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce, from me
71. Coconut Flour Pancakes with Gelatin, from me
72. Fluffy Coconut Flour Waffles, from Just Enjoy Food
73. Coconut Flour Apple Pancake Rings, from Food Renegade
74. Coconut Flour Dutch Baby, from Unrefined Kitchen
75. Coconut Flour Finnish Custard Pancake, from Seasonal and Savory
76. Paleo Waffles with Arrowroot and Coconut Flour, from Fresh 4 Five
77. Coconut Flour Apple Oven Pancake, from me
78. Coconut Flour Pancake + Bacon Sandwiches, from Nom Nom Paleo
79. Banana Silver Dollar Pancakes, from The Spunky Coconut
(Pictured from left to right #76 – #79)
Coconut Flour Recipes for Bars and Brownies
(Pictured from left to right #80 – #83)
80. Rich and Fudgy Coconut Flour Brownies, from me
81. Coconut Flour Pumpkin Bars, from The Detoxinista
82. Lemon Bars with Coconut Flour Crust, from Fed and Fit
83. Coconut Flour Banana Ginger Bars, from me
84. Cakey Coconut Flour Brownies, from Comfy Belly
85. Egg Free Coconut Pumpkin Bars, from AIP Lifestyle
86. Chocolate Beet Brownies, from Rooted Blessings
87. Egg Free Banana Bread Blondies, from The Real Food Guide
Coconut Flour Recipes for Scones and Biscuits
(Pictured from left to right #88 – #91)
88. Spiced Coconut Flour Biscuits, from me
89. Coconut Flour Breakfast Biscuits, from Paleo Comfort Foods
90. Bacon and Chive Coconut Flour Biscuits, from The Urban Poser
91. Sweet Plantain and Coconut Flour Biscuits, from PaleOMG
92. Kabocha Squash and Coconut Flour Biscuits, from Real Food Forager
93. Coconut Flour Herb Biscuits, from me
94. Coconut Flour Popovers, from Healthy Recipes Blogs
Coconut Flour Recipes for Wraps
(Pictured from left to right #95- #97)
95. Coconut Flour Crepes/Tortillas, from Against All Grain
96. Zucchini Coconut Flour Flatbread, from me
97. Coconut Flour Tortillas, from Zest Bakery
98. Coconut + Tapioca Flour Pizza Crust, from Paleo Spirit
Additional Coconut Flour Recipes
(Pictured from left to right #101- #104)
These didn’t really fit into the above categories but they are worth checking out!
99. How to make coconut flour from coconut flakes, from Oh The Things We’ll Make
100. How to make coconut flour fresh fresh coconut, from Rawmazing
101. Coconut Flour Gnocci, from Divalicious Recipes in the City
102. Coconut Flour Cheese Crackers, from Health Bent
103. Coconut Flour Croissant Bagels, from Beauty and the Foodie
104. Coconut Flour Graham Cracker Pie Crust, from Paleo Fondue
105. Coconut Custard Pie, from Free Coconut Recipes
Do you love coconut flour? Share the benefits and uses of coconut flour with the sharing buttons below!
I will try any of them and if it went well then i am gonna try the other one.
Thanks for sharing
Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe, I made Lemon Bars with Coconut Flour Crust yesterday and I fell in love hard! I am following a keto diet for a couple of months and the results are clearly visible, I made this recipe as it was my cheat day and everybody loved it. I follow various health sites like Mayo Clinic, Everyday health which has mentioned eating coconut is good for health and one should not worry about their diet… THANKS FOR SHARING.
Did you actually try these recipes? I made the lemon loaf today and it was disgusting! There is no other word for it, it went straight in the bin. What a waste! ????
You can even perform from any location you might be as lengthy as you have an internet connection. Video clip Poker can be played by one individual. Poker guidelines may seem fairly perplexing for novices.