Is cell phone radiation dangerous?
Slowly, thanks to mounting evidence, the topic of cell phone radiation is gaining publicity. While it may be convenient to ignore the mountain of research that shows the dangers of radiation emitted from cell phones, it is far from prudent.
On the topic of cell phone radiation and safety, the FDA.gov says:
Many people are concerned that cell phone radiation will cause cancer or other serious health hazards. The weight of scientific evidence has not linked cell phones with any health problems.
Is is really as simple as that? Nope! The FDA has, once again, put public safety on a low priority, given the following research on cell phone radiation:
- Cell phones emit radio frequency radiation (RF). RF has been shown to damage cellular DNA, which may lead to cancerous mutations. Even low-level RF exposure causes the body to create heat stress proteins, a temporarily protective measure that is harmful if this stress response is chronic.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has classified cell phone radiation as a Class 2B Carcinogen – the same class as the pesticide DDT and lead!
- According to the Environmental Working Group, childrens’ brains absorb twice the amount of cell phone radiation as adults’ brains (source)
- Studies on the health effects of cell phone radiation have mixed results. But does funding bias contribute to the controversial results? This study published in the Environmental Health Perspectives journal found that industry-funded research was vastly more likely to show no health effects (72% – no effect, 28% – effect) versus independently-funded research (67% – effect, 33% – no effect).
- As recorded in the book Zapped, Dr. Ronald Herberman, M.D., a director of the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, said, “Although the evidence is controversial, I am convinced that there are sufficient data to warrant issuing an advisory to share some precautionary advice on cell phone use.” He counseled his staff to limit the amount of time they spend on their cell phones and to avoid making calls in public places “where you can passively expose others to your phone’s electromagnetic fields.”
- The BioInitiative Report has compiled up-to-date research on the effects of EMFs and RFs. According to the document, which can be viewed here (PDF), “The great strength of the BioInitiative Report (www.bioinitiative.org) is that it has been done independent of governments, existing bodies and industry professional societies that have clung to old standards. Precisely because of this, the BioInitiative Report presents a solid scientific and public health policy assessment that is evidence-based.”
- According to the BioInitiative report, “Roughly, 1800 new studies have been published [between 2007 and 2012] reporting effects at [radiation/EMF] exposure levels ten to hundreds or thousands of times lower than allowed under safety limits in most countries of the world.”
It’s not practical to ditch your cell phone, but given the research, it only makes sense to incorporate cell phone safety measures into your life. Here are 5 ways to reduce your exposure to cell phone radiation:
1. Text or use a Bluetooth/headset/speaker phone instead of calling
When it comes to cell phone radiation, the vital factor is the proximity of the phone to your vital organs – particularly your brain. When you hold the phone to your ear, the radiation is concentrated near your brain. Using a headset when speaking on the phone significantly reduces the radiation that penetrates your brain, as does using your phone on speaker phone. A Bluetooth is also preferable to holding your phone to your ear, but be sure to remove it when you’re not on the phone.
For the same reason, texting is much preferable to calling when it comes to minimizing the concentration of radiation around the vulnerable brain.
2. Turn your phone off at night
Did you know that you are most vulnerable to environmental toxins and radiation when you are sleeping? That’s because the body is in full parasympathetic mode – the rest and digest state of the nervous system. In parasympathetic mode, all of the body’s defenses are down and biological repair processes maximize.
One common practice is using one’s phone as an alarm clock or to keep the phone on the bedside table. Unfortunately, this places the phone in close proximity to the head, where the radiation will do the most damage. Airplane mode disconnects the phone from WiFi, but the phone is still emitting harmful magnetic fields from the battery. The best option is turning your phone off at night.
3. Never wear your phone
When your phone is on, keep your distance. Even when you aren’t making a call, the phone is emitting constant radiation to connect to the nearest antenna. Avoid “wearing” your phone, so keep it out of your pockets and don’t clip it onto your belt.
A dangerous new habit for some women is keeping their phone in their bra. Can you spell breast cancer? The fatty tissue of the breast readily absorbs the radiation from the phone, fostering tumor growth, according to the Environmental Health Trust website.
4. Use a DefenderShield Case
If you wear your phone on your body (like in a pocket) I can’t emphasize enough the importance of a Defendershield case. With the unique design, you place the shielded side of the case against your body. This allows the phone to maintain reception but protects your body from the phone’s harmful EMFs. The phone case is available here,
5. Have young children? Pregnant? Exercise more caution.
It is not paranoia to exercise caution with your children and cell phone radiation – it is wisdom!
According to researcher Ann Louise Gittleman in her book Zapped,
When it comes to EMFs, studies have shown that [children’s] thinner skulls and bones allow them to absorb twice the amount of radiation as a grown-up. EMFs can more deeply penetrate their brain tissue, which is more conductive than an adult’s because it contains a higher concentration of fluid and ions. One study found that a cell pone call lasting only two minutes causes brain hyperactivity that persists or an hour in children.
In 2013, a panel consisting of five leading experts on EMFs and children’s health gathered to give their safety recommendations (you can listen to the recording of the panel here). They urged that children should not use cell phones except in emergencies and should not play with radiating phones – even if the phone is on airplane mode, the battery is still emitting magnetic fields. Pregnant women and couples wishing to conceive should also exercise more extreme caution and should strictly follow the previous tips in this post.
Do you implement any of these measures to reduce exposure to cell phone radiation Please share this post with the buttons below to introduce others to the research surrounding cell phone radiation!