These are the five reasons why I chose a Berkey water filter, as well as the tips and tricks that I want to pass on to you, if you are considering one.
1. Berkey removes contaminants including fluoride
Popular filters like Brita Filters may improve the taste of water, but offer no use when it comes to removing harmful pollutants and toxins in tap water.
Berkey water filters remove:
- Chlorine and chloramin – Toxic chemicals used to sanitize water.
- Fluoride – A highly toxic chemical which I strongly believe should be in no one’s water supply.
- Microorganisms, bacteria and viruses.
- Heavy metals.
- Pharmaceuticals – Pharmaceuticals, including disastrously hormone-disrupting compounds, are not removed in city water treatment facilities and circulate in the water system. Berkey removes 99.5% of pharmaceuticals including antibiotics and hormones.
IMPORTANT TIP #1: I want to clarify this, because there can be confusion. If you have fluoridated water, get the Berkey with Fluoride Filters, which come with both the carbon and the fluoride filters. You will see this option on each filter page of BerkeyFilters.com). If you have a non-fluoridated water source, you require only the carbon filter unit.
IMPORTANT TIP #2: When screwing on the fluoride filters, don’t screw them on too tightly (as described in detail in the instructions). Also, you may need to run water through your filter up to four times to clear the cloudiness that will . Again, this is described in the instructions.
2. Berkey water filters are affordable
When it comes to high-performing water filters that remove fluoride, Berkey is the most affordable option.
IMPORTANT TIP #1: If you can overlook a small ding or scratch to save money, buy one of the Scratch and Dent Sale from BerkeyFilters.com. The cosmetic blemishes in no way interfere with the function of the filter.
IMPORTANT TIP #2: The ongoing investment with Berkey water filters are the filter replacements, but the filters last a long time. do need to be replaced occasionally. If you use four gallons of water per day (ex: a small family), the carbon filters would need to be replaced every four years. The fluoride filters need to be replaced ever 1000 gallons or a year, whichever comes first.
3. Low Maintenance and easy assembly
In the below video, I show you how to assemble a Berkey.
It takes about 15 minutes the first time you set up your Berkey. Just make sure you read the instructions all the way through before you start and you’ll be good-to-go.
Berkey maintenance is simple. The filters should be replaced every few years, depending on the volume of water consumed by your family. It’s also recommended to occasionally cleanse your Berkey carbon filters, which means scrubbing them with a Scotch Brite Pad every few months. Easy, right?
IMPORTANT TIP #1: If you are leaving your Berkey unused for more than 2 days, empty it out, and place the top of the filter on clean paper towels on your counter before you leave. You want air and light circulating around the carbon filters, so they dry and do not grow bacteria.
IMPORTANT TIP #2: Most people need the Big Berkey size. It’s suitable for singles, couples, and families of up to four.
4. Emergency Preparedness
Berkey filters are an excellent option to prepare your home for an emergency scenario. If, for some reason, the plumbing stops working or the water is contaminated, a Berkey works without the requirement of electricity or A Berkey can filter almost any source of water… it can even turn pool water into clean drinking water!
IMPORTANT TIP: Stock an extra set of carbon and fluoride filters in your emergency kit.
5. Berkey Water Filters are Travel-Friendly
Unlike water filters that attach to your plumbing, Berkey water filters easily transport. I had my Berkey in my old dorm room and took it with me when I recently moved to my new home.
It takes only 5 minutes to disassemble the Berkey and another few minutes for assembly, so it makes a travel-friendly filter solution. You can bring it with you if you to a cabin, hotel room, campsite, or house rental, for example. Don’t forget about putting a Berkey in your office if you want to offer yourself/clients/patients clean water.
IMPORTANT TIP: When assembling and diassembling your filter for travel, make sure you use sanitary conditions. Wash your hands well, and pack the filters in clean plastic bags. Wash the inside of the metal container before assembling to remove any bacteria.
Get Started with Your Berkey Water Filter
I recommend getting your filter here from Berkey Filters for the following reasons:
- 50% off accessories for your Berkey, including the essential fluoride filters, the stand, and the shower filter.
- A FREE Boroux glass water bottle. These are the most elegant and leakproof glass water bottle I’ve used.
- Free 2-day shipping, which matches Amazon in speed and offers much better customer service (UPDATE: Berkey no longer guarantees 2-day shipping, but most orders arrives in 2-3 days).
- A 30-day return policy. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, even your return shipping charges are covered.
- A lifetime warranty on your filter.
Here’s what to order:
- A Big Berkey Filter, available here.
- The Fluoride Filters, automatically 50% off
- The Shower Filter, if you want safer bathing water, also 50% off.
- The Stainless Steel Stand, also 50% off.
Enjoy your safe drinking water!