Paleo Macaroons, without eggs!
Banana bread is one of my other favorite fall/winter flavors. When I was little, my mom made her homemade banana bread at least a few time every month. My sister and I always got the most important role in the preparation: mashing the bananas with a fork. When the bread was done, we could never wait for it to cool to a reasonable temperature before digging in.
I think this recipe will make almost everyone happy, since it is grain, dairy, nut, AND egg free. It packs well in a lunchbox if it is in a container with firm sides (not a plastic baggie).
This recipe is inspired by Jenni’s brilliant pumpkin macaroon recipe at The Urban Poser. Jenni deserves all the credit for creating the base for this egg-free macaroon, which have been adapted for numerous flavors. Jenni has a chocolate macaroon version at Against All Grain and a vanilla version (it contains almond flour). Heather at Mommypotamus has a lemon version (which also contains almond flour). There are so many options, you will never get bored!
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed until creamy
- 2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 4 tsp. coconut flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup raw honey or raw maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, optional
- ¾ tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix everything together.
- Form into tablespoon-size balls and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool COMPLETELY until removing from the baking sheet, otherwise they will crumble.
- Note: I like storing these in the freezer and eating them from straight from the freezer. But my mom prefers them at room temperature. Find what you prefer!
Question, do you know if coconut flour constitutes a carb? I’m restricted from carbs for a few weeks and was hoping to be able to make them.
Coconut flour is very low carb, but watch out for the bananas and honey, they’re not! If you’re OK to eat bananas you could probably just leave out the honey. They’d still be good.
Loved these!! So good. 2 thumbs up.
Just made these – left out the honey/sweetener, but added raisins. Soooo good!!! Thank you for the recipe.
Hi, Would you happen to know, what are the carbs on these?