During my recent trip to the Morrocco Method headquarters in San Luis Obispo, I had a blast finally connecting with the MM team in person. In between perusing the local farmer’s markets, getting a tour of SLO, and enjoying a company party at Anthony Morrocco’s home, we did manage to work on some fun collaborations.
During the trip, I was also privileged to try their newest product, amla powder, before it became available on April 1st. Now, you can order it here at Morrocco Method.
What is amla powder?
Amla powder, available here, is dried and powdered indian gooseberry. Revered in Ayurvedic medicine, it’s been used for thousands of years as one of the most potent and nourishing herbs in India. While there are numerous benefits to consuming this herb, amla powder naturally supports healthy, shiny hair and glowing skin.
1. Amla powder gives Red and Brown Henna Hair Dye cooler tones
If you want to reduce the red undertone of the Morrocco Method red and brown henna hair dye, add amla powder to the henna.
The MM red and brown henna use a combination of indigo flowers and the actual henna plant (Lawsonia inermis). The indigo has a blue-black dye and the henna has a red dye. When mixed in different ratios, they create a brown or red hair dye.
Amla powder creates a cooler tone to these hennas by preventing the indigo from fading and by reducing the red tone of the Lawsonia. Follow the directions here to mix amla with your MM henna treatment.
And here is the color selection for MM hennas.
2. Amla powder enhances and conditions when used with Blonde and Neutral Henna Hair Dye
Morrocco Method Henna Hair Dyes are a combination of various plant powders, formulated to create different tones. The Neutral and Blonde Henna Hair Dyes don’t contain actual the henna plant (Lawsonia inermis). Instead, these dyes use a plant called cassia.
Cassia can slightly dry the hair when used frequently, and, depending on your hair color and type, can create a slightly brassy tone. To combat this effect, add amla powder to your henna treatment. Follow the directions and ratios here.
3. Amla powder boosts natural curls and waves
If you’ve used henna hair dye on your naturally wavy or curly hair, you may have found that it relaxes your hair texture. Because henna coats and conditions the hair – which is what adds the gorgeous shine – it can have a relaxant property.
I enjoy this property of the henna, because I find it calms my flyaway and boosts volume. However, I also love playing up my natural waves. That’s where amla powder comes in! You can mix it with your Morrocco Method henna treatment to reduce the relaxant quality of the henna. Follow the directions here for using amla powder with MM henna.
Alternatively, use amla powder as a stand-alone hair treatment for curl power. I was blown away after doing this treatment for the first time a few days ago! It strengthened my natural waves without weighing down or coating my hair.
I explain how I did this alma powder hair treatment in the below point.
4. Amla powder enhances hair volume
I loved the volumizing results after my first amla treatment. It left my hair soft and fluffy, without undesirable puffy volume.
Here’s how I did my amla powder hair treatment for curl-boosting and volumizing effects:
- I mixed one packet of amla powder with filtered water to create a lotion consistency.
- I applied it to my entire head, starting at the roots and working it down through the hair. (It’s best to do this in the shower to keep your bathroom floor clean!)
- I let it sit for 30 minutes before thoroughly rinsing it. Gently massage your head and rinse and extra time to ensure that your hair is clean. There is no need to use any shampoo or conditioner before or after – the amla cleanses and conditions.
- After air drying, I completed my simple no-heat styling with my boar bristle brushing routine.
5. Amla powder makes a rejuvenating facial treatment
Amla powder is a traditional facial treatment in India, due to its exfoliating and antioxidant properties. Simply mix amla powder with your choice of liquid to create a facial mask. Try mixing it with:
- Raw honey, which moisturizes and treats breakouts
- Yogurt, rich in lactic acid and probiotics
- Facial toner, such as rose water
Simply mix the amla powder with the base to create a spreadable consistency. Apply to your skin, let sit for 10-30 minutes, the gently rinse. Your skin will be cleansed, soft, and silky!
Empower Your Hair Package
I was honored to create this package specifically for you with Anthony Morrocco, the founder of Morrocco Method. Morrocco Method is the 100% raw hair care that completely changed the health of my hair and scalp.
Together, these products would be $69 but this package is $49. You’ll save 30% off my favorite MM products.
The Empower Your Hair Package includes:
- 5 trial-size (2 oz each) raw shampoos with carrying case (Why are MM shampoos so special?)
- Full size Zen Detox, for scalp purification and detoxification (My Experience with Zen Detox)
- Diamond Crystal Mist (2 oz) (How can I use Diamond Crystal Mist?)
- Large scalp massager
The Empower Your Hair Package is available here.
If the Amla hair mask works to wash and condition hair could I just use it in place of shampoo and conditioner? Every time I wash my hair or will it build up over time?
I think you’ll want to use a shampoo and conditioner. You can determine based on how your hair feels.
You can use Aritha and shikakai powders mixed with water as a shampoo replacement. There are numerous YouTube videos about this and other Ayurvedic hair remedies like henna, hair tea rinses, hair oils, etc. I hope this helps!
how can i use Amla on blonde hair ? what type of result will i get?
Thanks for the info.