I’m Lauren Geertsen, a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner (NTP), and I share a headstart for your healing journey.
Six years ago, I was nearly bedridden with a severe autoimmune disease called Ulcerative Colitis. I decided to make some radical dietary changes, and now I have no signs or symptoms of my disease.
If I hadn’t drastically changed my diet, I wouldn’t know the best version of myself. I would still feel like a victim to my health challenges and be at war with my body.
If you want to experience the best version of yourself, you’ve got to make significant changes in your nutrition and lifestyle. If you want to do that, but need guidance, you’re in the right place.
How I Healed My Autoimmune Disease
My healing journey led me to experience the power of nutrition and lifestyle. At 14, I was diagnosed with a severe form of ulcerative colitis, an autoimmune disease. At 18, after years of disastrous medications, doctors said my only option was surgical removal of my colon. I remember hearing these words: my heart dropped into my stomach. I thought, “there goes my chance of a healthy future.”
At that point, with nothing and everything to lose, I found a book called Breaking The Vicious Cycle which led me to discover The Gut and Psychology Syndrome book The Gut and Psychology Syndrome book (which outlines the GAPS Diet). With these resources, I learned how the foods I ate were interacting with my body to trigger and perpetuate my disease. For the first time, I felt empowered to change my health: I understood how my body worked, and I was not longer helpless to a “mystery illness.”
Even though my doctors told me, “food doesn’t work,” I began a grain free, nutrient-dense diet. Within three days, my acute symptoms were gone. Within three months, I was able to taper of all of my medications.
Shortly after, I became a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner through the Nutritional Therapy Association, to gain a deep understanding of how nutrition can support transformative healing.
Now, I want to give you a headstart on your healing journey. At Empowered Sustenance, I share the simple steps that freed my life of chronic disease and medication.
At Empowered Sustenance:
1. You’ll learn how to improve your health with nutrition. I know that empowerment goes hand-in-hand with education, because I didn’t change my lifestyle until I understood the consequences of my diet. Nutrition education is absolutely essential to being a healthy and happy human.
3. You’ll discover the bumps and learning curves on a healing journey. Health is not a destination but an evolution to physical, emotional, and spiritual wellbeing. My journey has led me to recover from an eating disorder, redefine disease, and radically bless the challenges along the way.
4. You’ll save the time and money switching to non-toxic home and body products. I’ve tried countless non-toxic products and ingredients for a healthy home, and only a handful of companies make the cut to be featured on Empowered Sustenance. Browse my What I Use page for these resources.
5. You’ll get support and encouragement to pursue alternative healing modalities. Alternative methods of healing are often broadly dismissed because our culture believes scientific institutions are the unbiased, ultimate arbitrator of Truth. In reality, we need to search beyond Institutional Science for healing. I champion energy medicine and learning how to trust your body.
How to get started
- Sign up for my free video course How To Trust Your Body.
- Browse my Get Started page to view essential posts on nutrition, digestion, and wellness.
- Join the engaged community on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.
Welcome to the Empowered Sustenance Community!