This faux-pasta recipe started with a memory of a favorite family dinner. My mom used to toss Tinkyada brown rice pasta with mashed roasted garlic, salt, and olive oil. Our family heaped this side dish next to pork chops and sauteed apples. In my grain free translation, I’ve doused zucchini pasta with a creamy, dairy free roasted garlic sauce. The mellow sweetness from the smoked apple sausage gives a nod to the apple and pork chop combo.
- 2 all natural, sugar free, fully cooked sausage (I used Trader Joe’s Smoked Apple Chardonnay Chicken Sausage)
- 2 Tbs. butter or olive oil
- 2 small zucchini, cut into pasta with a spiralizer
- 2 Tbs. roasted garlic
- ¼ cup yogurt or canned coconut milk
- Salt, to taste
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Heat the butter (or olive oil) in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Remove the casing from the sausage if desired (it usually peels off easily when the sausage is cold). Slice the sausage and brown in the butter/olive oil.
- While sausage is browning, add the zucchini pasta to the boiling water. Cook for 1 minute to soften, then drain. Remove the sausage from the sauté pan and set aside. Stir the roasted garlic and yogurt/coconut milk into the remaining butter in the pan. Warm through, and season the sauce lightly with salt. Top the sausage pieces and pasta with the warm sauce.
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy
oh my gosh that sauce sounds absolutely delicious! WOW!
Carrie- young living oil lady
I love this!!! So inspiring!!! Never thought to do zucchini… just squash! It look so good! Thank you for sharing with us at Healthy 2Day Wednesday! Come back again next week 🙂
Thanks! And I will certainly be back next week for Healthy 2Day Wednesday 🙂
Such a great recipe, Lauren! Thanks for sharing.
And thank you for the guest post opportunity!
Hi there. Food on Friday this time is all about sausages! So it would be great if you linked this in. This is the link . Have a good week.
Thanks for the invite! I’ll head on over!
Thanks for linking this super sausage post in to Food on Friday. I am now signed up to follow you on Google Reader. A follow back to Carole’s Chatter would be wonderful – or are you already following? Cheers
Great website! I am loving it!! Will come back again. I am bookmarking your feeds also.
I’ve done something similar before with a mix of shredded zucchini and yellow squash, which i tossed with a homemade basil pesto and cherry tomatoes. Based on how delicious that was I can’t wait to try this recipe!
Rena (An Ordinary Housewife)
I’ve never heard of a julienne peeler. Could you just use spaghetti squash though?