So, Valentine’s Day is in a few days. To sum up my feelings about this day, here is a haiku by yours truly:
Hear ye, all singles:
To celebrate hearts day
We’re eating garlic
So, my dear single friends, lets break out the garlic and eat this elegant cauliflower mash with carefree delight. We’ll recklessly breathe garlic breath all evening and watch I Love Lucy episodes with our dogs.
That sounds like a lovely celebration, if you ask me!
And to the rest of you who happen to be half of a mushy duo, you’ll just have to wait for another evening to enjoy this luxurious side dish.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- Butter, preferably grassfed, about 4 Tbs.
- Sea salt
- 8 large cloves garlic, chopped
- Steam the cauliflower until very tender. Drain and puree the cauliflower until smooth and creamy. Add a hunk of butter and plenty of salt and blend until mixed.
- While cauliflower is steaming, toast the garlic. Head 2 tablespoons of butter over very low heat and add the chopped garlic. Cook (don't turn up the heat) until golden and toasted, stirring often. I think it took 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and remove from the pan.
- Re-heat the blended cauliflower in the empty garlic pan to pick up the yummy brown coating and butter film on the bottom of the pan. Taste and add more butter and salt if you want.
- Divvy up the cauliflower mixture and sprinkle with the garlic and pepper. Store leftover mash separate from any leftover garlic, so it doesn't get the garlic soggy.
Will you be enjoying garlic this Valentine’s day? What is your favorite way to make mashed cauliflower?