Recently, I’ve been craving whipped cream. I blame the all the pie commercials now that it is holiday season. My sister can squelch any similar cravings by squirting Reddi whip into her mouth, but I needed a different solution.
So I created Whipped Coconut Pudding. It’s like eating a bowl full of whipped cream. Except this whipped cream is touched with festive spices, dairy free and nourishing!
Since going grain-free, gelatin is my go-to for creamy desserts and even baked goods. In this recipe, coconut milk “jello” transforms from a solid into a light and fluffy pudding.
- 1 cup light canned coconut milk (if using full fat, reduce gelatin to 2 tsp.)
- 4 tsp. grassfed gelatin
- 1 Tbs. honey
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger (these spices can be omitted for a Plain Whipped Cream-y taste)
- ⅛ tsp. ground cardamom
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Fresh fruit for serving
- In a small bowl, stir together ¼ cup coconut milk and the gelatin. This ensures the gelatin dissolves without clumps.
- Heat the remaining coconut milk in a small saucepan. When simmering, whisk in the softened gelatin mixture. Whisk until dissolved.
- Place in the fridge until set, at least 4 hours.
- When gelatin is set, scoop it out into a food processor or blender.
- Add the sweetener of your choice and the spices. Pureé until creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Taste and adjust sweetener/spices, if needed.