Today, I proudly pulled a fragrant dinner of Slow Cooker Fennel Chicken with Orange out of my CrockPot. I admit to a somewhat self-satisfied smile as I placed the steaming platter on the family dinner table. After all, it is not every day that a slow cooker meal earns the right to such a pretentious name.
Little by little, my CrockPot is taking small steps to improve its standing in the culinary empire. A few weeks ago, it made a succulent pot of caramelized onions. And now, it has produced a dish worthy of the adjective “Orange-scented.” Best of all, the meal contained no dairy, grains, or other persnickity allergens. My CrockPot and I… we’re going places.
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- fennel bulb, cored, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1 bag baby carrots or 1 lb. carrots, cut into sticks
- 1 orange, sliced into ¼ inch thick rounds
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. herbes de provance
- 3 tbs. olive oil
- 1 package of skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs (or skin-on, you may have to increase the cooking time though)
- Layer everything in the crockpot in this order:
- Sliced onion, Sliced fennel, Apple cider vinegar, Chicken, Carrots.
- Sprinkle with half of the seasonings: half the garlic, salt, pepper, herbes and olive oil. Just eyeball everything, no need to measure.
- Finally, cover with the remaining orange slices and remaining spices. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours, until chicken is cooked through and carrots are very tender. Discard the orange slices after cooking.
Can’t wait to try this! I’m going to substitute pork since we have a severe poultry allergy in the family (not kidding – is that weird or what?). I think it will be fabulous. Oh, and to the, um, friendly disgruntled person above, TBS is an abbreviation for TaBleSpoon. Not plural of TB (tuberculosis? Maybe? I hope that person isn’t putting TB in food!).
Not sure how much a package is supposed to mean? I like having the weight written when it comes to meat specifications.
Ok to cook in oven if no slow cooker?