Super Easy Paleo Lemon Mousse
Sometimes, I have days when I’m hard on myself. I think, “I just can’t do anything right.” You know those days– when you spill the milk and when you forget the one item at the grocery store that you needed to buy.
And then I have days when I make a recipe like this. And all of a sudden, the sun is shining and birds are singing and I’m invincible. Don’t believe a bowl of lemon mousse boasts that power? Make this mousse and you will see!
Mousse for the rest of us
Traditional mousses rely on an arduous process of whipping and heating eggs for a stabilized base. Many alternative mousse recipes use pureed nuts or even thyroid-supressing, infertility-promoting tofu. Here, a honey-sweetened lemon curd and gelatin-set coconut milk provide a sturdy yet fluffy base for this mousse.
Can you see how fluffy and thick this mousse is from the picture above? It is like a lemon-flavored cloud on a spoon.
More uses for this Paleo Lemon Mousse:
- Celebrate breakfast: Layer it between my perfect coconut flour pancakes
- Play Martha Stewart: serve it in Healthy Homemade Chocolate Cups
- Be culinary chic: Pile it on top of Fennel Vanilla Panna Cotta
HERE is the recipe for Honey Sweetened Lemon Curd, from the Nourishing Gourmet.
- First, make the honey-sweetened lemon curd (I've linked a good recipe above). Chill until thickened and cold.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the coconut milk and gelatin. Let sit for 10 minutes. Then turn the heat on medium and whisk until the gelatin dissolves. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
- In a food processor, blend together the set coconut milk and the lemon curd until smooth. Add honey to taste and a small pinch of salt.