Paleo Cornbread (a.ka. Coconut Flour Muffins)
Yes, Paleo Cornbread is an unabashedly explicit oxymoron.
But if you call this cheese, then this deserves the title cornbread. Plus, these taste uncannily like cornbread to me (I’m sure I can’t say as much for that cheese). I find the cornbread similarity shocking, these muffins are completely devoid of corn and grains.
I must offer a disclaimer, though… it’s been a long time since I’ve had real cornbread, so my perception is a bit skewed.
“Cornbread muffins” for simplicity’s sake
I’ve had numerous readers tell me they simply call these “coconut flour muffins” to avoid questions from family members like, “why are you calling these corn-free muffins cornbread?”
So call them what you will– Paleo Cornbread or Coconut Flour Muffins. Either way, these grain-free muffins are simple and ridiculously tasty.
Coconut flour muffins always brighten a blue day!
I did not have a great day yesterday. My bedroom sprung two leaks in the ceiling and now my floor is covered with soggy bath towels and half the pots in the kitchen. I had to spend the night in the freezing downstairs office and didn’t sleep at all. Then, Mom and I got in a huge fight over something I can’t even remember and on top of that I lost my favorite piano book and started sobbing on the couch.
Anyway, I needed something to cheer me up this morning. So I whipped up a batch of these Coconut Flour Muffins. Worked like a charm. After all, nothing is more comforting than jamming your face with warm muffins smothered with copious gobs of honey and melting butter.
Are you having a blue day? Try these easy coconut flour muffins, you’ll feel better immediately!
- (Double recipe if desired)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, butter or real lard, liquified
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Tbs. unsweetened applesauce or, and this is really yummy, 100% pure apple butter
- 1 Tbs. raw honey
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line 6 muffin cups with unbleached liners. Mix together the coconut flour and oil until smooth, then beat in the eggs until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Divide between the prepared cups and bake about 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly pressed.
Do you think it is ethical to call these corn-free muffins “cornbread” or congealed almond milk “cheese”? Do you have a favorite recipe with a similarly oxymoronic name?