Coconut Flour Cupcakes!
These coconut flour cupcakes contain nourishing coconut oil, protein-and-vitamin-rich eggs, unrefined raw honey, and satiating coconut flour. It is my go-to recipe for a quick but impressive dessert. I’ll often serve them spread with apple butter and sprinkled with fresh berries. The coconut flour cupcakes themselves require only about 10 minutes of prep, so I can whip them up with a moment’s notice.
If you wish to invest a bit more time, top these cupcakes with one of the Paleo frosting recipes that I’ve gathered below. Many of the recipes are also SCD/GAPS-friendly.
This coconut flour cupcake recipe is from my digital cookbook, Indulge and Heal: 40+ treats without grains, dairy, nuts and refined sugar. I created this book to fill the gap for Paleo/GAPS desserts that do not include almond flour. (Ah, my nemesis almond flour 🙂 !) Just a few of the recipes contain sunflower seeds, which should be used only rarely like almond flour, but otherwise the recipes are nut/seed free (with the exception of coconut). More than half of the recipes are egg-free.
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 6 eggs, at room temperature (that's important)
- 6 Tbs. raw honey
- 6 Tbs. coconut oil or butter
- 2 Tbs. coconut milk, room temp. (this one doesn't have any icky additives or BPA) OR an equal amount of full-fat yogurt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a muffin tin with 8 liners (I like unbleached parchment paper baking cups).
- Combine the coconut flour and eggs until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Divide evenly between the muffin tins. Bake until golden and a toothpick comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Cool completely and frost with the lemon mousse.
- Makes 8 cupcakes. Feel free to double the recipe if you want more cupcakes! These last in an airtight container for a few days at room temperature. They also freeze really well!
Great Paleo Frosting Recipes
So, now that you have these flavorful coconut flour cupcakes, are you looking for a paleo frosting recipe? Here are some tasty options:
Fig. 1 – Vanilla Glaze, from The Urban Poser, with coconut cream and vanilla bean.
Fig. 2 – “Cream Cheese” Buttercream from Healthful Pursuit, with homemade cashew cheese and palm sugar
Fig. 3 – Paleo Lemon Mousse, from me, actually a mousse but I use it for a frosting.
Fig. 4. Paleo Maple Frosting, from The Civilized Caveman, with palm shortening (it’s just healthy palm oil) and arrowroot flour
Fig. 5 Hazelnut Chocolate Frosting, from The Healthy Foodie, with hazelnut butter and cocoa (but you can use any other nut/seed butter)
Fig. 6 Easy Chocolate Buttercream, from Cookies and Cups, made with only chocolate chips and butter. You can use dairy free chocolate chips and coconut oil for a Paleo version.
Even more paleo frosting ideas…
Paleo Chocolate Frosting from Elena’s Pantry contains only chocolate chips, coconut oil, and vanilla extract.
Dairy-free whipped cream frosting with just coconut cream, honey, and vanilla extract. Only frost the cupcakes immediately before serving, however, because it doesn’t hold up at room temperature well.
Paleo Honey Frosting, from The Civilized Caveman, uses palm shortening, honey, and coconut cream.
Enjoy the recipes and happy baking!