Did you know that a single infrared sauna session burns up to 600 calories? And that’s just one of the benefits!
Why did I invest in a sauna?
I made the investment in a sauna when I moved out of student housing, and had room in my office for it. This is not a sponsored post, although I do get credit for purchases made through the links on this page (I greatly appreciate your support of Empowered Sustenance in that way!). I purchased a Sunlighten myself after researching the best options on the market.
I wanted to use infrared therapy to support these areas of my health that were not adequately responding to my diet and lifestyle:
- My low thyroid function
- Heavy metal detoxification, particularly copper toxicity
- High blood sugar
- My lifelong disposition to fungal infections
Benefits of Using an Infrared Sauna
Increase metabolism. Sunlighten saunas are clinically shown to boost core body temperature, which raises metabolism and burns calories. A 40 minute infrared sauna session burns up to 600 calories – that’s is comparable to a 6 to 9 mile run. (Source)
Get cardiovascular benefits if unable to rigorously exercise. Sunlighten saunas are clinically proven to support weight loss in those who are sedentary due to medical problems, such as osteoarthritis or respiratory problems. (Source)
Improve insulin sensitivity. By raising the metabolism, saunas burn excess blood sugar. We currently lack studies showing this result in humans, but hyperthermic conditions in animals increased insulin sensitivity and lowered blood sugar (source).
Detoxification, including elimination of heavy metals. Heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, copper, manganese and nickel have been shown to detox with sweat (source). Note that the body will not detox through sweat during intense exercise – you must be in a relaxed, parasympathetic state of the nervous system to purge toxins through sweat.
Supports immune response to fungal and bacterial infections by raising core body temperature.
Often supports pain relief in cases of arthritis, sports injury, chronic fatigue syndrome, and fibromyalgia (sources)
Normalizes blood pressure. Sweating during sauna therapy increases blood flow, leading to improved circulation. Research shows that sauna therapy reduces high blood pressure. (Source)
Why I Chose A Sunlighten Sauna
- Extremely low-EMF. Many far infrared saunas create notoriously high levels of harmful electromagnetic frequencies. EMFs impair the body from engaging in detoxification and rejuvenation processes.
- Safest materials on the market, to prevent chemical offgassing.
- Streamlined, beautiful, and intuitive to use. Sunlighten is to saunas as Apple is to computers.
- High efficiency heaters are clinically shown to boost core body temperature
My results from my Sunlighten Sauna
After 3 months of using my sauna 3 times per week, 30 minutes per session, here are the results I noticed:
- Improved energy levels. Although my thyroid hormones still fluctuate on my lab tests, I believe my sauna sessions are reducing my fatigue associated with hypothyroidism.
- My back acne and acne scarring cleared completely. Although I used nutrition to clear the majority of my acne, I had still struggled with back breakouts until I used my sauna regularly.
- My blood sugar levels are now within a healthy range, and I credit my sauna. My fasting blood sugar had been consistently high, even though I’ve followed a low-glycemic diet and exercised regularly for years.
- My flexibility has improved drastically, as has my muscle tone. As someone who does yoga and ballet classes five days per week, I appreciate this increased flexibility and tone.
What sauna should you choose?
Sunlighten offers three main types of saunas:
- The Signature Series (see video above) uses far-infrared light. I have the Signature I, the smallest size, which fits in the corner of my office.
- The newest version, the mPulse Series (below) combines all three types of infrared wavelength for the maximum therapeutic benefits.
- The SoloPad is the smallest, portable far-infrared sauna.
How to use a Sunlighten Sauna
- Preheat if desired (I preheat for 30 minutes).
- Relax and sweat away, for 20-60 minutes. Stay hydrated.
- Shower after, to wash off the toxins eliminated with the sweat.
Get Started with Your Sauna
- Visit Sunlighten.com below to browse sauna models. Then click “Get Pricing” to immediately view the price sheet. (This is the only way to access the pricing, and Sunlighten never shares the information you enter.)
- Call to place your order and tell them Lauren sent you to get free shipping, a $100 value.
- The sauna arrives disassembled, to fit through a door. Two people are required for assembly. I hired a handyman to set mine up, and it took about an hour.
- Enjoy infrared sauna therapy in your own home!