Happy lymph for a healthy body
Our lymph system is like the garbage disposal for the body, trapping and flushing toxins. Unlike our cardiovascular system, however, the lymph system does not have a pump to move the fluid. Instead, the movement of the body is responsible for preventing the stagnation of toxins in the lymph.
If our lymph fluid isn’t flowing as it should, a myriad of problems can arise. The body faces an increased toxic burden that affects all of our systems. The immune system takes a big hit if the lymph tissues are trapping but not flushing toxins.
To support the entire lymph system, a facial lymphatic drainage massage can be done numerous times a day. It only takes a few minutes.
Benefits of Facial Lymph Drainage
- Supports the flushing of toxins from the body
- Helps drain the sinuses, relieving sinus pressure from allergies and colds
- Reduces fluid retention in the face, which can define the jawline and slim the entire face
- Can help shorten the duration of a cold
I found this helpful video on Youtube and I do a this facial lymph massage every morning (and before bed, if I remember). It reduces my “puffy morning face” and makes me feel refreshed and energized. Lymph massage is best done on dry skin (i.e. don’t use a massage oil).
To see the list of contraindications, please see Heather’s website, MassageByHeather.com.
More ways to encourage lymphatic health
- Rebounding – jumping on a trampoline helps loosen and pump the lymphatic fluid throughout the whole body. Learn how to correctly rebound here.
- Massage – Any massage boosts the lymphatic system by moving around the lymph fluid. An more affordable alternative to massages is a foam roller (that’s an amazon link), which I use to massage my legs and lower back.
- Free the girls – the breasts house a large percentage of lymph tissue and underwire bras notoriously promote toxin build-up in the breasts. You have options if you are not comfortable going braless.
- Dry brush – dry brushing (here’s a tutorial) stimulates the entire lymph system for gentle detox.
Do you practice any type of daily lymph support? Have you tried facial lymph drainage before?