You can’t be sad when you are holding a cupcake.
I don’t remember where I heard those wise words, but aren’t they true? Especially when it comes to a paleo cupcake, like these paleo cupcakes make with coconut flour and cardamom. In experience, you can’t be sad when you are making cupcakes, either. Mixing up batter, licking spoons, and frosting cupcakes with friends and family is one of the little joys in life.
There are three parts to this recipe: making the lemon curd, making the mousse and making the cupcakes. This is more work than I usually go to for a sweet treat. But when I have the time, I enjoy indulging in a more involved cooking project. It is therapeutic for me. And the finished product feels like a well-deserved reward.
Paleo Lemon Frosting
I loved my Paleo Lemon Mousse so much that I had to repurpose the recipe. Its thick, rich and fluffy texture lends itself well to a show-stopping cupcake topper!
This stuff is amazing. Period.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a muffin tin with 8 liners (I like unbleached parchment paper baking cups).
- Combine the coconut flour and eggs until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Divide evenly between the muffin tins. Bake until golden and a toothpick comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Cool completely and frost with the lemon mousse.
- Makes 8 cupcakes. Feel free to double the recipe if you want more cupcakes! These last in an airtight container for a few days at room temperature. They also freeze really well!