I’m Lauren Geertsen, a nutrition consultant and author.
I help you connect to your body’s wisdom so you can heal yourself.
Six years ago, I was nearly bedridden with a severe autoimmune disease called Ulcerative Colitis. I decided to make some radical dietary and lifestyle changes.
Now, I have no signs or symptoms of my disease. On my healing journey, I realized that my body was never fighting against me. It was always on my side.
I healed because I drastically changed the way I ate, lived, and thought about my body. If I hadn’t made these changes, I would still feel like a victim to my health challenges and be at war with my body.
Your body wants to tell you how to heal yourself. If you’re ready to listen to your body, you’re in the right place!
How I Healed My Autoimmune Disease
At 14, I was diagnosed with a severe form of ulcerative colitis, an autoimmune disease. At 18, after years of disastrous medications, doctors said my only option was surgical removal of my colon. When I heard these words, my heart dropped into my stomach. I thought, “there goes my chance of a healthy future.”
At that point, with nothing and everything to lose, I found a book called Breaking The Vicious Cycle which led me to discover The Gut and Psychology Syndrome book The Gut and Psychology Syndrome book (which outlines the GAPS Diet).
With these resources, I learned how the foods I ate were interacting with my body to trigger and perpetuate my disease. For the first time, I felt empowered to change my health: I understood how my body worked, and I was not longer helpless to a “mystery illness.”
Even though my doctors told me, “food doesn’t work,” I began a grain free, nutrient-dense diet. Within three days, my acute symptoms were gone. Within three months, I was able to taper of all of my medications.
I realized my body had been telling me, all along, to change my diet. Through my disease, my body was not trying to hurt me… she was speaking to me. My body held the wisdom to heal me, and all I needed to do was listen to her.
I wanted to learn how to better hear the voice of my body. On my healing journey, I’ve trained in nutrition, kinesiology (muscle testing) and different forms of energy medicine.
At Empowered Sustenance:
1. You’ll learn how to improve your health with nutrition. I know that empowerment goes hand-in-hand with education, because I didn’t change my lifestyle until I understood the consequences of my diet. Nutrition education is absolutely essential to being a healthy and happy human.
3. You’ll discover the bumps and learning curves on a healing journey. Health is not a destination but an evolution to physical, emotional, and spiritual wellbeing. My journey has led me to recover from an eating disorder, redefine disease, and radically bless the challenges along the way.
4. You’ll save the time and money switching to non-toxic home and body products. I’ve tried countless non-toxic products and ingredients for a healthy home, and only a handful of companies make the cut to be featured on Empowered Sustenance. Browse my What I Use page for these resources.
5. You’ll get support and encouragement to pursue alternative healing modalities. Alternative methods of healing are often broadly dismissed because our culture believes scientific institutions are the unbiased, ultimate arbitrator of Truth. In reality, we need to search beyond Institutional Science for healing. I champion energy medicine and learning how to trust your body.
How to get started
- Download my free guidebook 15 Minute Wellness Reset.
- Browse my Get Started page to view essential posts on nutrition, digestion, and wellness.
- Join the engaged community on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.
Welcome to the Empowered Sustenance Community!